By Orange County Estate Planning Lawyer, Darlynn Morgan
If you’re searching for a special gift that demonstrates just how deeply you love your spouse, significant other, kids or family members this Valentine’s Day…
…then consider going “outside the box” and giving your family the gift of estate planning, which provides the peace of mind knowing that all of your assets and everyone you love would be protected in the event of illness, disability, incapacity or even death.
Creating legal documents such as a Will, Trust, Power of Attorney and Health Care Directive is a gift that will last your family for generations. There’s no better way to express your love for your family than to have all of your “ducks in a row” and plans in place that ensure:
- Legal Protection of Your Children: Estate planning helps to ensure that your minor kids would be cared for in the way you want, by the people you want, should something happen to you, and that their inheritance will be passed down to them in a safe and secure way.
- Crisis Decisions are Easier on Everyone: If you have an unexpected healthcare challenge, a Living Will and Healthcare Directive will clearly spell out your wishes so that there’s no confusion, stress or fighting about what you “would have wanted.” Having a financial Power of Attorney in place will also empower your loved ones to continue paying bills, accessing financial accounts or making decisions if you are unable.
- Freedom from the Courts and IRS: Help your family by making sure that your assets are passed down easily and stress-free if you pass away—without interference from courts, creditors, disgruntled relatives, or the IRS.
- Legally Avoid Taxes: This priceless gift of estate planning will allow your family to legally avoid paying burdensome estate taxes, no matter how big the estate, if death or incapacity suddenly occurs.
- Peace of Mind: There’s no greater peace of mind that you can give to your loved ones than knowing without a shadow of a doubt that your legal and financial house is in order—and that you have the tools and resources necessary to keep it that way.
Getting started creating your estate plan is easy. Just begin having open conversations with your loved ones about your wishes and your specific desires for the protection of your assets and family, if something happens. Then, take steps to legally document your decisions so that they are honored by the courts. It’s the most loving step you can take to protect your family and make life as easy as possible for them, no matter what happens in the future.
If we can help you get started, simply contact an Orange County estate planning lawyer by calling our Newport Beach law office at (949) 260-1400 and ask to schedule a consultation.